What is LMS Platform?
LMS platforms allow recruiters and instructors to create creative instructional content and deliver it effectively. Its recent advanced features like artificial intelligence and augmented reality have extended its functionalities incredibly.
Additionally, LMS platforms have become highly efficient and economical. They have been updated to be affordable for the users, the students, and the organizations/businesses that employ them.
While recruiters and educators can save money on training costs and time by providing training online, learners can save money by avoiding travel and other expenditures connected with in-person training.
If you are also looking to invest in an LMS platform, it is important for you to know everything about it to make an informed decision. Let’s begin by covering all the basics.
What Is an LMS Platform?
An LMS or learning management system can be defined as a platform that allows instructions to create, deliver, and manage online learning courses through a variety of tools and functions.
Depending on specific needs and requirements, each organization prefers a different learning management system. However, some common tools you will find in all LMS platforms are assessment tools, collaboration tools, mobile learning support, multimedia supports, course authoring tools, reporting & analytical tools, etc.
Additionally, these learning management systems can also integrate with other tools to extend their functionalities. Some most common tools it can integrate with are video conferring software, plagiarism detection tools, editing tools, proofreading tools, referencing software, etc.
Anyone who wants to deliver an online eLearning course is now investing in LMS platforms. Businesses of all sizes, consulting firms, independent coaching institutes, governmental organizations, NGOs, etc., are now reaching out to their learners, students, and employees through the help of advanced LMS platforms.
What Does an LMS Platform Do?
Learning management software can do a variety of tasks. Each of its functionality can be further customized according to the needs of the instructor and the organization. Mentioned below is the list of common functions LMS platforms can perform.
- Develop and Administer Courses: An LMS platform can facilitate instructors and administrators to create and manage courses, including course content, exams, and multimedia assets, quickly and efficiently. The dashboard of an LMS platform offers all the functionalities in one place, allowing instructors to quickly jump from one task to another.
- Delivering Courses Online: LMS allows for remote learning and online education since students can access courses and course materials from any location with an internet connection.
- Customized Learning Experience: LMS platforms can offer customized learning paths, including individualized course suggestions and progress monitoring, that are suited to each learner's requirements, capabilities, and interests.
- Analytics and Reporting: LMS platforms also allow instructions to analyze learner engagement and performance through analytics and reporting tools. Additionally, it allows them to measure course completion rates. These tools go a long way in helping instructors and administrators gauge the success of their training initiatives.
- Collaborating Features: Collaboration can be facilitated through LMS platforms, allowing students to work together on projects, exchange ideas, and interact with both professors and each other. Additionally, collaboration initiatives also allow students and learners to develop important social skills such as communication, teamwork, and leadership. These skills are essential for success in both academic and professional settings.
Advantages of the LMS Platform
There are many advantages to using an LMS (Learning Management System) platform for online learning and training:
- Enhanced flexibility, scalability, and accessibility of the course material
- A personalized learning experience for the learners
- Cost-effectiveness both for learners and instructors
- Efficient, effective, and creative assessment tools
- Advanced reporting and analytical features to track progress and success
- Automated and regular updating of the course material
- Enables collaboration and engagement between students and instructors
- Reporting and Analytics – it is the process of collecting and analyzing data to generate insights and information that can help in informed decision-making and improve performance.
- Assessment Tools - This method is used to evaluate and measure the knowledge, skills, and abilities of learners to determine their level of understanding and achievement.
- LMS Dashboard - It is a visual interface that provides an overview of key information and data related to online learning and training courses like course progress, completion rates & cycle, and learner performance.