What is Applicant Tracking Software?
An Applicant Tracking Software (ATS) is a comprehensive hiring solution that simplifies the entire recruitment process, from receiving applications to hiring new employees. Available in different forms, ATS systems offer a variety of features to benefit organizations that prioritize efficiency.
A good ATS enables recruiters, coordinators, hiring managers, interviewers, and others involved in the recruitment process to work together effectively, streamlining the hiring process. It maximizes the value of recruitment operations by ensuring only the most qualified candidates are selected while providing a seamless experience to all applicants.
Benefits of Applicant Tracking Software
Recruiting is an ever-changing industry, with job candidates now using a variety of channels to search for open postings. It can make tracking and managing applicants challenging, especially when job postings attract hundreds of candidates. Outdated tools make this even more complicated, so many recruiting teams now turn to an applicant tracking system (ATS) to manage all their applicants in one location.
ATS systems have many benefits, including –
- Time-Saving Automation: An ATS eliminates manual tasks, saving recruiters valuable time. It means recruiters can focus on vetting and communicating with viable candidates, resulting in quicker hiring.
- Reduced Bias: An ATS can find the best-matched candidates for a role without human input, lowering instances of hiring bias. You can configure your system to match candidates based on skills and experience rather than race, gender, or nationality.
- Improved Candidate Quality: The ATS will automatically screen out unqualified candidates, ensuring that only the most qualified candidates make it through the process.
- Analytics: An ATS helps you analyze your recruiting performance by generating, categorizing, and analyzing data. It lets you focus on effective hiring channels and de-prioritize those not giving results.
- Improved Candidate Experience: By using an applicant tracking system, you can ensure all applicants receive a timely response to their applications and have a seamless experience with your organization. The reason is candidates can leave reviews of hiring processes on third-party sites, and more than half of job seekers won't apply to a company with negative reviews.
Key Functions of Applicant Tracking Software
An ATS system can streamline the recruitment process and improve the overall hiring experience. Here are some critical functions performed by an ATS solution –
- Keyword Search for Resumes: With an ATS, recruiters can use the keyword search functionality to quickly scan through resumes and find the most relevant candidates for a role.
- Scheduling: ATS systems can help automate interview scheduling, eliminating the need for manual coordination and reducing the risk of errors.
- Communication: An ATS can facilitate communication between candidates and hiring teams, ensuring a timely and efficient exchange of information.
- Collaboration: ATS systems allow teammates to work together on recruitment tasks, making it easier to share feedback, evaluate candidates, and make decisions.
- Compliance: An ATS can help ensure that candidate sourcing and evaluation processes are legally compliant and follow best practices.
- Assessment: ATS systems can incorporate assessments and scorecards to help evaluate candidate qualifications, skills, and fit for the role.
- Employer Branding: An ATS can support employer branding efforts by showcasing the company culture, values, and vision to potential candidates.
- Reporting: An ATS can provide recruiting reports that help measure the effectiveness of hiring efforts, such as candidate sourcing reports showing which channels deliver the most qualified candidates.
Related terms to Applicant Tracking Software
- Candidate Management System: It is a software solution used to manage and organize recruitment, from job posting to candidate selection.
- Job Boards: Employers can post job postings and connect with candidates through these online platforms.
- Talent Pool: It is a database of potential candidates who have expressed interest in working for a company, often used for future hiring needs.
- Recruitment Automation: It uses technology to automate various aspects of the recruitment process, such as resume screening and interview scheduling.
- Job Application Tracking: It is the process of tracking and managing job applications, from the initial submission to the final hiring decision.
- Hiring Analytics: It uses data and metrics to analyze and improve the recruitment process and hiring outcomes.
- Recruitment Process Automation: It uses technology to automate and streamline various aspects of the recruitment process, such as resume screening, interview scheduling, and candidate communication.
- Candidate Experience: It refers to the candidate's overall experience throughout the recruitment process, from job application to onboarding.
- Interview Scheduling: It is the process of scheduling interviews with candidates using scheduling software or other tools to streamline the process.
- Application Screening: It is the process of reviewing and evaluating job applications to identify the most qualified candidates for a job.
- Candidate Engagement: It means building relationships with candidates through various means, such as personalized communication and follow-up, to maintain their interest in the company and job.